Located in a peaceful setting overlooking the Dyfi Valley.
Yr Hen Stablau is a recently renovated 1840s stables set in luxuriant gardens on a wooded hillside overlooking the Dyfi Valley near Machynlleth. Yr Hen Stablau is Welsh for The Old Stables. This peaceful, secluded and picturesque setting makes Yr Hen Stablau ideal if you want to relax, paint, read or write. It is also an excellent base for a more active holiday in this famously beautiful corner of Snowdonia.
Visitors have access to a footpath through the wonderful garden. It is at its best in spring and early summer with a stunning display of rhododendrons and azaleas. There are many other unusual shrubs and trees including pieris, tulip tree, monkey puzzle and eucryphia.
The conversion has been designed to preserve existing walls and features, use the original stone, slates and timbers, and make the building energy efficient. Features are
Heating by LPG gas and solar energy - environmentally cleaner than oil or electricity
Draught lobby to reduce heat loss
Porch with glazing to prevent draughts and use solar energy
Double or triple glazing of all windows
Thick insulation and draught sealing of roof and walls.
Low solvent organic paint on all walls
Underfloor heating with 92% efficiency boiler.
Passive ventilation, reducing energy use
Woodburning stove using on site logs
Snowdonia Sustainable Self-catering award 2008. Green Tourism Business Gold award 2014.
The new design provides very high quality, attractive accommodation for up to six.
Ground floor: sitting room with French windows on to a slate terrace and woodland view; kitchen/dining room with high ceiling, original beams and French windows to terrace and farmland view; modern kitchen fittings; pantry; double bedroom with door to terrace; shower room/WC; hall; lobby. All ground floor wheelchair accessible and mobile hoist available free of charge.
First floor: two twin bedrooms with original beams; landing; WC.
Electricity, gas & central heating included; woodstove in the sitting room, one load logs included; radio & digital TV; washing machine/dryer; microwave; fridge; freezer; spring water supply UV filtered; organic cotton bedlinen provided. Central heating: underfloor downstairs, radiators upstairs, heated towel rails.
Ample parking. Shops 1 mile
Attractions near to Yr Hen Stablau:-
- Walks and hill climbing in Snowdonia
- Centre for Alternative Technology (3 miles) - displays and activities on renewable energy and sustainable living
- Seaside - Aberdyfi (9 miles) with 5 miles of sandy beach, Yacht Club, Outward Bound activity days, watersports
- Children’s activities - Talyllyn Steam Railway with Thomas the tank engine, King Arthur’s Labyrinth, pony trekking
- Birdwatching - Ynyshir nature reserve (6 miles), Red Kite Safaris (book in advance), Dyfi Osprey Project (6 m)
- Golf - Aberdyfi, Harlech (top championship courses in N Wales), Borth, Machynlleth
- Fishing - book in advance through the New Dyfi Fishing Association
- Craft Centre and Mine Explorers at Corris (4 miles)
- Machynlleth Comedy Festival first weekend in May
- Machynlleth Festival - last week in August with art & music (welsh choral, folk, jazz, classical).
Low £360, Mid £520 and High £640. Short breaks Low and Mid seasons. Deposit £100 and balance one month before arrival.
Special Offers & Late Availability
No Special Offers or Late Availability