Region: Snowdonia Mountains and Coast
The Coach House Cottage was, as its name suggests, a coach house & stables back in the days when the whole property was owned and lived in by the Dinorwig Slate Quarry manager & has family.
After being restored, expanded and converted into a 4-star self-contained holiday cottage, it now consists of a master bedroom with double bed and en-suite shower room, a twin bedroom, a second w/c & shower room, a light and airy dining area, large lounge with working open fire and vaulted beamed ceiling, fully equipped kitchen, and a sun-trap courtyard with barbeque and seating - hopefully the weather will allow you to take advantage of it!
There is also a sofa bed in the lounge for up to one additional guest.
Records going back as far as the mid 17th century confirm the existence of an inhabited farm covering more than the existing 7 acres of the present day grounds.
The agricultural lifestyle continued on the grounds through several generations. There are still, to this day, ruins of chicken coops, pig styes and other animal enclosures which remain on the property.
Another site to be found is the tiny family house of the resident gardener. A small slate builing, consisting of only 2 rooms, supported this family of seven! Here too, are ruins of a pig stye and the gardener's allotment, which can be clearly seen through the undergrowth.
The main residence was built in the mid 19th century for the Dinorwig Slate Quarry Manager. In most places, the walls of this building are over 2 feet thick, and made of solid slate block.
On the 27th April 1899, the grounds were visited by Their Royal Highnesses, The Duke and Duchess of York, who were later to become King George V and Queen Mary.
Contact: Richard Handler or Greg Handler
07743 089116 or 01286 871097